Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Begin at the beginning.

Welcome to If Destroyed..., the anti-X-Axis.

The X-Axis is great and all, but, let's face it, it's a little limited. It does one thing, review comics. And it does it with a very heavy focus on the X-books. That's the point, after all. But there are limits to what can be done within the X-Axis, or even Article 10. They've got to be about comics.

Feedback from the X-Axis tells me two things. One, a lot of my readers don't even read, or care about, the actual comics being reviewed. Bluntly, they don't much care what I write about. These people should be happy, because If Destroyed... will probably also feature me writing at length about things they don't care about.

Two, a lot of my readers actively lobby for me to write about other things. If Destroyed... will feature me writing about other things. Although not necessarily the other things they had in mind.

Basically, If Destroyed... is whatever I want it to be at the time. The remit is totally open-ended. It will review films. It will write about TV. It will talk about music. It might do a bit of current affairs. From time to time, it might just go rambling off on tangents unrelated to anything in particular. At some point I'll probably get around to actually doing Dead Air, a feature I've been meaning to do for months but never had a proper venue for.

Or alternatively it might not do any of the above. We'll just have to wait and see.

There are only three rules for If Destroyed..., all of which are designed to keep my sanity intact.

1. No schedule. If Destroyed... posts appear as and when I feel like writing them. There may be the occasional live blogging event which I'll announce in advance, but we'll come to that in due course.

2. No comics. Ever. If it involves comics, it'll appear in the X-Axis or Article 10.

3. No posts about my work or personal life. Because you don't care, and I'm not that interested in telling you. If I really want to write about that sort of thing, it'll go in my Livejournal.

Other than that, anything goes, really. Shall we get going?